Saturday, December 5, 2009

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas!

>> I've been a terrible blogger lately, but now that I've got a brand new laptop, I hope that I can update more often (right now, I'm projecting about once a week). I'm sure that no one has been bothered by my absence, seeing as I only have one follower (shout-out to Roeshel :]). As I write this, snow is just beginning to fall outside my window ^.^ It's odd that I still find myself excited to see snow falling when I terribly hate the cold, but somehow it brings out my inner child.

Anyway, in the spirit of Christmas (or just the winter holidays in general), I thought I would share a few cute ideas for reusing old ornaments. I find that using the same ornaments on my tree every year is pretty boring, so I like to purchase some new ones just to switch it up. Changing the color scheme makes each year unique, but that can get a little expensive. So for a cheap fix, you can just breathe new life into old ornaments, and keep a few staple colors around to use every year like white, silver, and gold.

>> Idea #1: {Raid the Kitchen}


>> Find inspiration in your cabinets: Tie long lengths of ribbon to cookie cutters and display them above a window seat or in a doorway — or deck out a charming homespun Christmas tree if you have more than a baker's dozen.


Cookie Cutters from Sur la Table, amazon.com, and Broadway Panhandler.
 
 
 
  >> Idea #2: {Fill With Feathers}
 

>> Dress up basic clear glass-ball ornaments by filling each with a delicate feather (available at craft shops). For a chandelier-like impact, suspend a cluster from a small hook you install in the ceiling. Or pile them in a large glass bowl as a striking centerpiece.



Glass ornaments from Michaels and Target. Feathers from Sunshine Discount Crafts, Jamali Garden, and Michaels.



>> Idea #3: {Paint it White}


>> Unify a hodgepodge assortment by coating the ornaments with matte white spray paint, which lends the luxurious look of porcelain. Choose simple shapes for the most wow factor. To do: String the ornaments up on a clothesline outdoors, prime them, then apply the paint in light, even coats on all sides. Let dry for 24 hours.


Tree from Lowe's.
Ideas from here.
 
Happy Holidays!
Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails